Location: Next to Merdeka Square
Established In: 1884
Significance: It is one of the oldest clubs in Malaysia.
How To Reach: One can reach here by hiring taxis, or by boarding
buses, trains from the city.
The Royal Selangor Club, literally Kelab Di-Raja Selangor in Malay, is
to be found on the northern fringe of the Merdeka Square, overlooking
the imposing Sultan Abdul Samad Building in Kuala Lumpur. Founded in
1884 as Selangor Club by the British, it is a social club that earlier
used to be the rendezvous for sophisticated and high-ranking members of
the British colonial society. The membership to this club was largely
determined by high educational and social standards, sooner than race or
Initially, the organization was started in the small wooden building
near Padang. Later, in 1890, the small edifice was replaced by a
two-storey structure, which was designed by AC Norman. However, in 1910,
it was redesigned by Arthur Benison Hubback, the same architect who
designed the Kuala Lumpur Railway Station. At this time, two additional
wings were made on either side of the building in the Tudor style.
With the passing time, the membership to the club increased and also
started to include distinguished Malaysian civil servants, such as,
judges, lawyers and other important people. Its proximity to the High
Courts made it a convenient meeting place for the legal fraternity. In
the early 1900s, the Club was also used for theatrical performances
because there was no other hall available. Since its initial years, the
Royal Selangor Club has organized a variety of sporting activities,
The Long Bar was the area from where the sporting activities could be
watched, but it was restricted to men only because they used to get
excited after drinking. Though later the barring of women from the club
Royal Selangor Club has been subjected to floods several times in the
20th century, yet it was managed to refurbish every time. In 1970, the
main section of the club was demolished in a fire which was fixed later.
Another wing to the building was built in 1980 at the cost of M$6
Rated among the oldest clubs in Malaysia, the club was granted a royal
status under the benefaction of Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah in
1984. The Royal Selangor Club Kiara Sport Annexe is a division of the
Club that is located in Bukit Kiara, about 5.5 kms away from the
original clubhouse. In 1987, it was given as reimbursement after the
original club's field was acquired by the Kuala Lumpur City Hall. Its
structure is designed like the original club, with the main club
building facing a large field.